Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Parisian battle of the Post-It's









This is GREAT. I spotted this in The Guardian today, who got their images from http://www.postitwar.com/


Paris is in the midst of a Post It note battle! Not got a lot to say about it except that I think it has a little bit of the infectiousness of early NY graffiti. People seeing it and wanting to try their own versions, BUT I also think it's interesting that the medium AND the subject matter really reflect our times in a very interesting way. It is all very quick and disposable and the images used do not carry any great meaning, other than the fundamental act of creating them in the first place...which carries tonnes of meaning!
I also think it is funny that a lot of these are made while people are working and I think it genuinely reflects the nature of a lot of mundane jobs today. People cannot focus on them for any length of time as they seem so trivial and do not carry any voice of the people doing them, therefore you get a lot of coffee machine banter and this type of mischief where some kind of self as a social animal can come out. That's not a criticism I think it's great. I love these and now I feel like going and buying a bunch of post-it notes.
Other thing to state is: How creative are these Parisians!?! Props to that. What a great city.













Maybe I'll do a Post It note version of one of my paintings...
Ashwan



No comments:

Post a Comment